Hilotherapy has a wide range of applications, providing natural pain relief and a reduction in swelling and bruising. Hilotherapy is particularly effective in the following areas:
- Cosmetic procedures including facelifts, brow lifts, blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty, liposuction, breast augmentation, gynaecomastia
- Oral & maxillofacial surgery including maxillary osteotomy, facial trauma, dental extraction, TMJ surgery
- Orthopaedic procedures including total knee replacement, ACL, hip replacements, shoulder surgery
- Arthritis, rheumatism and joint pain
- Sports and other injuries
- CIPN and hand-foot syndrome
It acts to counter swelling, bleeding, haematomas, oedemas, and inflammation, by reducing the level of oxygen required by the damaged tissue, as well as helping to eliminate harmful substances by activating lymphatic drainage, which serves to accelerate the regeneration of tissue.
The science behind HilotherapyThe oxygen requirement
Reducing the oxygen requirement helps to decrease swelling, haematomas, and inflammation.
- Lowering the temperature of the affected tissue by 10 °C reduces the metabolic rate by 50%.
- By doing so, the oxygen requirement is also reduced.
- Now the amount of oxygen that reaches the affected area is sufficient for regeneration.
Eliminating harmful substances
Lowering the tissue temperature supports lymphatic drainage, and thus is very effective in removing harmful substances.
- In order to ensure the removal of harmful substances like proteins or necrotic cells through lymphatic drainage, the tissue temperature must be lowered to an exact degree.
- If the tissue temperature falls below +15 °C, lymphatic drainage is considerably restricted.
The importance of temperature
- Below + 15ºC lymphatic drainage is disturbed.
- Below + 10ºC metabolism and lymphatic drainage are disturbed.
- Below + 5ºC the nerves cease to transmit impulses.
By using Hilotherapy, the positive benefits of cooling, including reduced recovery time, can be achieved whilst avoiding temperatures that can obstruct healing. Constant cooling at a precise temperature is the key to Hilotherapy's effectiveness.
For more information please contact us or refer to the relevant page